Improving Member Experience & Satisfaction
This year, Health Partners Plans (HPP) is focusing on improving member satisfaction scores and elevating members' experience with their health plan and their providers.
HPP has identified two specific areas of member satisfaction that we're actively working to improve: getting needed care and getting appointments and care quickly. To improve our members' experience, HPP has implemented the following interventions:
- Post-visit surveys
- Implementation of a member satisfaction measure in QCP
- Member and provider focus groups
Member Experience & the CAHPS Survey
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems, commonly known as CAHPS, is considered the national standard for measuring and reporting on consumers’ experiences with health plans, providers and services provided. CAHPS surveys measure patients’ perception of the quality received, such as the ease of access to providers and health care services and the patient/provider relationship, including the communication skills of physicians and practitioners.
HPP is committed to working collaboratively with our in-network providers to improve CAHPS results and overall member experience. For providers, improved scores in these areas can lead to higher member satisfaction scores in Quality Care Plus (QCP) performance, which can result in additional revenue. For HPP, future growth is dependent on member retention and growth, which is greatly impacted by members' satisfaction with providers and our plans overall. Together, we can achieve our shared goal of elevating members' satisfaction and improving their experience with the health care system.
On this page, you'll find a snapshot of HPP's recent performance on the CAHPS survey, as well as tip sheets, checklists and links to other HPP resources. HPP is also planning to host a series of educational webinars on member satisfaction throughout 2021. We will continually update this page with new resources and educational opportunities for our provider network.
CAHPS Questions & Responses
|Question||Response Choices||HPP Results*||Best Practices|
|In the last 6 months, when you needed care right away, how often did you get care as soon as you needed?||
- Review industry access & availability standards (available in the HPP's member handbooks) with members and staff.
- Create open access scheduling for routine and urgent appointments.
|In the last 6 months, how often did you get an appointment for a check-up or routine care as soon as you needed?||
- Help members schedule their next routine or follow-up appointment before they leave the office.
- Use reminder systems for preventive services and immunizations.
|Wait time includes time spent in the waiting room and exam room. In the last 6 months, how often did you see the person you came to see within 15 minutes of your appointment time?||
- Share service standards that clearly tell staff what is expected in interactions with patients (i.e. checking in with patients waiting longer than 15 minutes)
- Review and remind staff of industry office wait time standards.
|In the last 6 months, how often was it easy to get the care, tests or treatment you needed?||
- Assess and improve staff’s cultural competence.
- Offer alternate options for patients to access care during off hours; provide education around urgent care, Teladoc, etc.
|In the last 6 months, how often did you get an appointment to see a specialist as soon as you needed?||
- Review and remind patients and staff of HPP's referral requirements.
- Help book specialist appointments or provide the specialist's information.
* Percentile rank
Resources to Increase Member Satisfaction
- Impacting CAHPS and HOS Quality Measures: A Checklist for Providers (PDF)
- Top 5 Tips for Boosting Member Satisfaction Scores (PDF)
- Top 5 Tips for Improving Front-Office Customer Service (PDF)
- Cultural Competency and Linguistic Requirements and Service Webinar: Presentation and Recording (Password: bR8cZ3Jp)
- Quality Improvement Webinar Series: Member Satisfaction Webinar | Presentation
- Provider Manual
- Health Partners (Medicaid) Member Handbook
- KidzPartners Member Handbook
- Information on Teladoc
- When to Access Urgent Care Centers and the Emergency Room
For More Information
If you have questions about CAHPS or need further information about any of the topics detailed on this page, please call our Provider Services Helpline at 1-888-991-9023 (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) or contact your NAM (Network Account Manager).