TiPS: Telephonic Psychiatric Consultation Service Program
Primary care physicians can receive support to help meet the mental health needs of children and youth enrolled in Health Partners (Medicaid) through the Telephonic Psychiatric Services (TiPS). This program provides real-time consultation with psychiatric professionals.
There is no cost for this service, but you must enroll.
What is TiPS?
Funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS), TiPS is a free program available to assist any PCP who sees children or adolescents through age 21 covered by a HealthChoices Medicaid Plan, including Health Partners. It also supports behavioral health clinicians working on-site in primary care practices. TiPS connects providers to regional children's behavioral health consultation teams comprised of child psychiatrists, licensed therapists, care coordinators, and administrative support. In the DHS HealthChoices Southeast Zone, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) administers the program.
How to enroll
You must enroll so that your TiPS team can get to know your practice and determine how best to meet your needs.
- Call 267-426-1776 to reach your TiPS team at CHOP.
- Once your practice enrolls, your TiPS team will provide support in person or by phone. They will explain the program, show you how to access services, answer questions, and discuss expectations.
How TiPS works
- Call TiPS with a patient-specific consult or any general question related to child psychiatry, behavioral health, or community resources.
- A TiPS representative will respond within 30 minutes (often immediately).
Outcomes may include:
- Answer to the PCP's question
- Referral to the TiPS team coordinator to help the child and family find local behavioral health services
- Referral of the child or family to the TiPS therapist to provide transitional, face-to-face care or telephonic support until the family can access local behavioral health resources
- Referral to the TiPS team or local child psychiatrist for a face-to-face acute psychopharmacological or diagnostic consultation