April 30, 2021
Removal of Medical Necessity Review for Non-emergent Land Transportation
Effective immediately, Health Partners Plans (HPP) will temporarily suspend medical necessity review for non-emergent land transportation for our Health Partners (Medicaid) members only, which will remove the need to obtain an authorization for these services. Air and water transport will still require a medical necessity review and an approved authorization is required for payment.
Authorization is still required for Health Partners Medicare members.
If you have claims for services rendered in 2021 and are waiting for an authorization to be processed, please submit your claim to HPP for processing.
The codes impacted by this temporary suspension are:
- A0130 - Nonemergency transportation: wheelchair van
- A0426 - ALS 1
- A4028 - BLS
- A0434 - SCT
- A0420 - Ambulance waiting time (ALS or BLS), one-half (1/2) hour increments
- A0424 - Extra ambulance attendant, ground (ALS or BLS) or air (fixed or rotary winged); (requires medical review)
- A0425 - Ground mileage, per statute mile
- A0100 - Nonemergency transportation; taxi
If you have any questions, please contact our Provider Services Helpline at 1-888-991-9023 (Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.).