December 7, 2016
Get TiPS on Treating Psychiatric Mental Health
Primary care physicians can receive support to help meet the mental health needs of children and youth enrolled in Health Partners (Medicaid) through the Telephonic Psychiatric Services (TiPS). This Pennsylvania HealthChoices program provides real-time consultation with psychiatric professionals in the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) network.
There is so cost for this service but you must enroll.
What is TiPS?
TiPS is a system of regional children's behavioral health consultation teams comprised of child psychiatrists, licensed therapists, care coordinators and administrative support.
Funded and organized by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (DHS), this free service is available to assist any PCP who sees children or adolescents through age 21 covered by Health Partners (Medicaid). It also supports behavioral health clinicians working onsite in primary care practices.
How to enroll
You must enroll so that your CHOP team can get to know your practice and determine how best to meet your needs.
- Call the CHOP TiPS team at 267-426-1776.
- Once your practice enrolls, your designated TiPS team from CHOP will come to your office or provide support by phone. They will explain the program, how you can access services, answer questions and discuss expectations.
How TiPS Works
- Call your TiPS team with a patient-specific consult or any general question related to child psychiatry, behavioral health or community resources.
- A TiPS team member will respond within 30 minutes (often immediately).
Outcomes may include:
- Answer to the PCP's question
- Referral to the team coordinator to help the child and family find local behavioral health services
- Referral to the child or family to the team therapist to provide transitional, face-to-face care or telephonic support until the family can access local behavioral health resources
- Referral to the team or local child psychiatrist for a face-to-face acute psychopharmacological or diagnostic consultation