Healthier YOU Fit Kids Program
The Healthier YOU Fit Kids program helps keep kids healthy and physically fit. Children who participate in the program will work with our Healthier YOU care managers to develop an action plan to help them reach their health and fitness goals. Goals can include things such as weight management and a regular exercise routine.
Fit Kids offers two special benefits that help develop good eating habits and encourage exercise:
- Weight Watchers® – must be age 10 or over
- Healthier YOU fitness center memberships
Why is staying fit important?
Staying fit allows you to do more fun things. Being overweight and out of shape can also lead to serious health problems like diabetes and heart disease. If you learn how to stay fit and maintain healthy habits throughout your life, you will lower your chance of developing serious health problems.
Fitness tips for the entire family
- Plan and cook healthy meals together
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Drink plenty of water; about eight glasses each day
- Limit junk foods like chips, soda and candy
- Enjoy a nice walk around the block or through a local park
- Daily physical activities like jump rope, climb stairs, or do sit-ups
More ways to keep kids fit and healthy
Children under age 20 should see their doctor for a well visit at least once a year, infants and toddlers more often. Your doctor will check on your child’s health during regular well visits. Well visits also give you a chance to talk to the doctor about having your child start a new exercise routine or healthy eating plan.
If your child has not seen their doctor for a well visit this year, schedule a visit today. If your child does not have a doctor, call our 24-hour Member Relations helpline anytime and we will help you find one in your area. Call 1-800-553-0784 for Health Partners or 1-888-888-1211 for KidzPartners (TTY users can call 711).
For more information on staying fit, check out these websites:
- Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move Campaign
- USDA’s My Pyramid for Kids
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute’s We Can! Program
To find out more or enroll, call our Healthier YOU helpline at 215-991-4250 or 1-866-500-4571 (TTY 711)